Subject: Re: Sound
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2003-06-28

At 14:22 27/06/03 -0400, you wrote:
>At 07:51 PM 6/27/2003 -0400, joris.bass_at_planet.nl wrote:
>>| Has there been a previous discussion on producing sound with the archos
>>| firmware?
>>
>>Isn't the Archos ABOUT sound? It's a music player. Sorry, maybe I'm missing
>>the point, but this seems to be a dumb question.
>>
>>Rockbox could be made to play a beep mp3 when a key is pressed, but the
>>music would have to be interrupted to do this. No one has implemented it
>>yet, as far as I know.
>
>Well I understood the question to be about _synthesizing_ (generating)
>sound as opposed to reproducing sound. That makes it a FAQ
>http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/nodo.html, see #9 and #14.
>
>The answer is that it isn't practical to synthesize sound because you
>would have to write a MP3 encoder (the DSP doing the playback only
>understands MP3). You _can_ record (or off-line encode) your favorite
>sound and play them back on demand as part of a game. I would suggest you
>no try to play them directly from the disk since you will have spinup and
>access delays. To make effective game sounds, you will want to either
>build the sound into the game as data (causing size problems) or pre-read
>the sounds into a buffer at start time so the sounds are available on demand.
>
>gvb

One thought I had was to encode (extending your example) all the pinball
sounds, and then, much like sokoban (again just an example) load all your
data into RAM when you fire the game up. Then you can "skip to" the point
in the mp3 you require and play just a small portion of audio from that point.

The main reason I do not like this idea is that you could not listen to
your music collection whilst playing a game.

I also apologise on one point, I was sure I had read ".WAV support"
somewhere - maybe this was for another machine when I was choosing which to
purchase! I sure can't find it again :(

The MAS datasheet will turn up one day ...until then, thanks for the input
guys :)

BC