Subject: Re: Plugins

Re: Plugins

From: <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:01:52 +0200 (MEST)

> I have just added plugin loading capability to CVS.

Great! Modular rockbox is a very nice thing. I guess we have to cleverly
finalize the interface soon, because I expect a "rockslide", meaning a ton of
these little apps. Later it's hard to change, you know how legacy works ;-)

> Plugins consist of code and data that is loaded to a 32KB reserved memory
> area at the top of ram.

That's probably the reason why it crashes so badly with the 8MB mod? Should
the rocks better be position independent code? Or link them at the start and
carve out a hole for that?

> The plugin API currently does not offer access the entire rockbox code
> base. It merely defines the functions used by today's plugins. However the
api
> is designed to be extended over time. It contains api version and hardware
> model checks that should make it relatively safe against accidentally
> mixing rockbox and plugin versions. If there are functions you would like
> see added to the api, just send a mail here with your suggestions.

I'd like to make our car CD changer emulator a rock. For this, it would have
to be started upon reception of a magic sequence on the remote pin. At
runtime, we'd need access to the UART and control the playback.

Jörg