Subject: Re: Soldering the Archos?
From: Joris van den Heuvel (
Date: 2003-06-30

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael O'Quinn <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 3:36 AM

| > > Ah, in my case its an AJBR with 6 Gig HD.
| >
| > Please don't do the lightbulb experiment with NiMh batteries. You risk
| > damaging the cells. Not sure if it's a very safe thing to do with any
| > rechargeable, but I do know you should not drain NiMh below 1v/cell.
| >
| > Chris

Could you please explain why this is so? As far as I know, this is only true
for lead acid batteries and in a lesser degree Li-ions. I have drained MANY
NiCd and NiMH cells to nearly zero, and have never noticed a decrease in

I do know that you shouldn't load NiMHs with large output currents >1C, as
you could NiCds.