Subject: Re: Plugins
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-07-01

idc-dragon_at_gmx.de wrote:
> I guess we have to cleverly finalize the interface soon, because I expect a
> "rockslide", meaning a ton of these little apps. Later it's hard to change,
> you know how legacy works ;-)

I too am hoping that the plugin capability will enable more people to let their minds run wild, writing funny and useful plugins.

However, I don't think we need to freeze the api. It is designed to be expanded over time, adding functions as they are needed. I don't think legacy will be a big problem.

> That's probably the reason why it crashes so badly with the 8MB mod?

Oops, I missed a spot there... The fix is to pre-process apps/plugins/plugins.lds in the same way we do with firmware/app.lds, so the plugin linker is aware of the larger memory size and places the plugins accordingly. I will fix this.

> I'd like to make our car CD changer emulator a rock. For this, it would have
> to be started upon reception of a magic sequence on the remote pin. At
> runtime, we'd need access to the UART and control the playback.

This (specifically the UART takeover) is a bit beyond what the current plugin system was designed for. I'm not saying it can't happen, but we would need to come up with an elegant solution that doesn't make the api too ugly/complex.

--
Björn