Subject: Comment on mono recording bugfix
From: Martin Borus (martin_at_borus.de)
Date: 2003-07-01

rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se schrieb am 01.07.03 11:36:02:

I'd like to comment on yesterday's bugfix regarding
mono recording - I preferred the old behaviour and
would like to keep it as an option:

>When recording from line in, if the mp3 mode is set to
>mono, the unit will only record whatever's on the right
>channel. If nothing is on the right channel, and the
>only sound is on the left channel, it will record
>nothing. This does not seem like the correct behaviour;
>I think it should mix L and R together, and record that
>mixed version to mp3.

Would it possible that you get to select the channel for a
mono recording to have Left, Right or Mix as three options?

When converting two stereo channels to one mono channel you can
get serious audio artefacts. If the original source was in Mono, but
recorded on two stereo analog channels you have tiny differences
between the channes. You would not notice them when listening to it in
stereo. If you force the signal back to mono, you can get
gargling sound effects or fading in certain frequencies of the audio signal.

If you use the Archos to convert your collection of Audiobooks you get a
much better result be selecting one of the two channels and dropping the
other completely. That's why I would welcome including this option.

Martin
Jetzt bei WEB.DE FreeMail anmelden = 1qm Regenwald schuetzen! Helfen
Sie mit! Nutzen Sie den Serien-Testsieger. http://user.web.de/Regenwald