Subject: Re: Plugins, News and the Website
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-07-01

Quoting Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>:

> Tom Sustins wrote:
>
> > I think patches need to be better explained. There are some very useful
> > patches around, but basic understanding and documentation on this isn't
> > great. Making it hard for non-programers to take advantage of it.
>
> The patches are one thing that is exclusively for developers. They are
> (as we say on the website) contributions from fellow developers to the
> Rockbox project. They are intended for the Rockbox developers and not
> for users.
>
> Linus

As a developer (I guess: I've had one patch accepted into Rockbox), and as a user who might want to add a patch to my private build, I'd like better documentation of some patches.

Sometimes I'll go to the patch tracker, and browse a patch, and wonder, "Hmm. What exactly does this patch /do/?" And then I don't use it, because if I'm not clear on what it does, I'm not motivated to use it.

A hierarchical directory of patches, arranged by purpose (filesystem, game/demo, add-on, sound, etc.) and clearly documented as to purpose and functionality, would make it a lot easier for me to cherry-pick additions for my private build, and to figure out if my "great" idea for a new patch of my own has already been implemented.

--Tom

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!