Subject: Re: Archos use while USB connected?

Re: Archos use while USB connected?

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:54:38 -0400

Quoting Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>:

> Björn Stenberg said:
> > Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> >> 2) You don't need to patch your PC operating system. Just
> >> don't enable the ISDx00 when the USB cable is inserted.
> >
> > That is not easily done. How do you stop the usb-storage driver from
> > have to recompile the kernel or rename/remove the usb-storage kernel
> > module, thus removing the archos support permanently.
>
> Surely on Linux, all you need to do is not mount the device? If I recall
> the earlier conversation, it was about having the jukebox plugged into
> usb, without the connection being active (i.e. the disk is not mounted and
> accessible). On windows, this can easily be achieved by plugging in,
> letting it automount, then unmounting it.

Yes, you can, but the Archos remains in the USB screen until the plug is physically removed from one end (host) or the other (Archos).

(<rant>Windows XP, regardless of settngs to the contrary, won't refrain from trying to scan the ENTIRE &$^$ 60GB disk for playlists when it automounts. This of course, drives down my battery extensively. Furthmore, it takes XP at least five minutes to put up a GUI box allowing this to be canceled. (And yes, I've been told TweakUI will fix it) -- I just want to knwo what genius thought "Hmm, first thing we should do with a removeable disk is waste five minutes scanning it -- the user probably has no idea what's on his disk." Apparently, this is a feature designed to make the lives of disk theives easier whilst inconveniencing legitimate owners.</rant>)

Tom
(seriously considering moving to linux)
--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!