Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Re: Car audio

Re: Re: Car audio

From: <jeffhahn_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:33:09 -0400

Hi All,
I had the same dilemma when I got my FMR 20 (no tape player). I did a bit of research and decided the easiest and cheapest solution was to go the FM Transmitter route. The premise of these modules is that they plug into the earphone jack of an mp3 player and broadcast the received signal over a designated radio frequency that you can pick up on your car stereo (or any other radio within range for that matter).

I first tried the IRock module. This seems to be the most popular (available at Radio Shack, $30 US). I found it to be woefully incompetent. It only gives the user the choice of 4 stations to transmit to (88.1, 88.3, 88.5, or 88.7 MHz). I tried all 4 and found them all to susceptible to outside interference from radio stations broadcasting close to those frequencies. I returned the unit after a week or so.

I then moved onto the Gruv-X unit by Cendyne and have loved it ever since. Unlike the IRock unit, the user can broadcast over any frequency across the FM radio dial. The broadcast range is limited, but I mounted it on my dash right next to the radio and get very clear reception from the unit. It runs on a single AAA battery that seems to last quite a while (at least 20 hours). I order it through Buy.com for $25 US.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Hahn