Subject: Recordings are quieter in Rockbox vs. Archos

Recordings are quieter in Rockbox vs. Archos

From: Paul Heron <Paul.Heron_at_templeton.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:19:04 +0100

Hello folks,

Took delivery of a couple of AJBR20 units yesterday for recording research
interviews. I've put Rockbox on one so that I can compare it against the
Archos system. I'm wanting to use the Rockbox (definitely a better system -
well done!) but am having problems with the recording levels.

I'm using the Archos preamp microphone but the recordings when using Rockbox
are always quieter than when using the Archos system. If I max out the
recording level on the Archos system then I get a good strong recording but
if I max out the recording level on the Rockbox (gain set to max of 19.5db)
then the recording is very quiet. I've read the Rockbox manual but can't
find any other way of boosting the signal, I've also taken a look at the
archive and can't find anyone else mentioning it. Anyone know why it should
be recording quieter than the Archos system and if there's anything I can do
to boost the signal to an acceptable level?

For info: I'm using Rockbox version 2.0, when test recording I've been using
the same microphone for both AJBR units and have the playback volume set to
the same also.

Cheers, Paul