Subject: Re: Recordings are quieter in Rockbox vs. Archos
From: Jean Boullier (
Date: 2003-07-03

Paul Heron wrote:

>Björn wrote:
>>Have you tried switching which unit runs Rockbox? Just to rule out a
>hardware issue.
>Yes, and then I transferred both files onto my PC and solved the problem as
>they both sounded identical through the PC's MP3 player.
>The problem was me thinking that the volume control was identical in Rockbox
>and Archos - they're not! Rockbox plays louder at 100% than Archos and
>Archos plays louder than Rockbox at 75%. So when I was listening to both
>units at 75% the Rockbox recording was way quieter leading me to conclude
>that it was a recording problem.
>Apologies for my ineptitude! But heartily relieved to have the problem
>'solved' as it means that I can carry on with the the Rockbox system.
>Cheers, Paul.
No need to apologise or to feel bad : I think most of us would have been caught the same. This different volume adjustment scale issue has in fact already caught us a few times in the past when discussing about different quality of sound between Rockbox or Archos. And since we do not run Rockbox vs Archos comparisons very often nowadays I would bet that most of us had already forgotten about this small trap.

Enjoy Rockbox. And not only for working purpose, hopefully! Jean.

Jean Boullier - Rouen - Normandie - France