Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Rockbox runs from Flash! (boots in 3 seconds)
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_mochamail.com)
Date: 2003-07-04

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:02:27 +0200 (MEST), idc-dragon_at_gmx.de wrote:

> I'm pleased to tell that my JBR20 now resumes playback 3 seconds after the
> "On" button is pressed. Rockbox is there in a split second, then it has to
> wait for the harddisk. In other words: Booting now takes as long as a spinup.
> I'll try to make a video of my starting box available by this evening.

3 seconds! Hot damn!

BTW, does this also mean that it is *running* from the flash chip,
saving RAM?

> Probably I'm watering everybody's mouth now to have that on their box, but
> first I'd like to establish the process on how we do this flashing in a safe
> way.

Put a warning on the thing, and let us bleeding-edge types take our
chances. :)

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films