Subject: Re: Rockbox from flash questions from a user's point of view

Re: Rockbox from flash questions from a user's point of view

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:05:13 -0400

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:11:00 +0200 (MEST), idc-dragon_at_gmx.de wrote:
>>> I would imagine you could also still ROLO a daily build after your
>>> 3 second boot process without incurring too much boredom. :)
>>>

>> I full agree with you.
>>
> I don't. Didn't measure it, but this loading and descrambling takes
> pretty long, will probably double your boot time.
>
> In fact, the boot time is about 4 seconds now since I introduced the
> checking for ajbrec.ajz present. I'm thinking about taking this out
> again. If we can easily flash without risk, we don't really need that
> feature. You still have the manual rolo if for special purpose you need
> another software.

Huh? Looks like you say you don't agree with me and then you say the same
thing? Okay, you didn't understand I meant the current 3 second boot
followed by a manual ROLO, or did you change your mind at some point?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I never knew ROLO could be anything but
manual. I wasn't proposing any checks for firmware. I would think that
to be redundant given the capacity for two firmwares in ROM.

> The flashing is pretty quick, just some seconds. For those concerned
> about the wear: the chip is specified for 100.000 cycles.

So, should be no issue at all for anyone who wants to flash every single
daily build.

>> If you flash Every daily build you have to boot at minimum 5 times a
>> day to gain the time lost by flashing.
>>
> (Just thinking about how often I need to reboot before the weeks of
> work on this pay off)

But think about all the seconds everyone will save put together and it
will pay off in just a few hours! ;)