Subject: "HD register error" after deep discharge with low batteries

"HD register error" after deep discharge with low batteries

From: <Gajdos_at_metatem.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:32:19 +0200 (CEST)

Archos Jukebox Recorder 20
ROM Firmware 1.26
Rockbox version: rockbox20030707.ajz
No hardware mods
Casing never opened
Device never dropped

No problems with my recorder until now. Upgraded from archos20030422.ajz
on July 7th and since the settings were lost I went through all the menus
to look for new cool stuff. Selected "deep discharge" for the first time
ever, because I was going to leave the charger connected, but after
charging for about 15 hours the batteries were completely dead. (The
batteries were only at 4% when I connected the charger.)

Some more details:

(1) Pressing ON lights up the green LED for a little while, but then it
just dies.

(2) Connecting charger lights up red and green LED for a couple of
seconds, after which the red LED turns off, leaving the green on and
showing the normal charging screen with battery blinking all the way in
top left corner (no backlight). It doesn't appear to charge however, since
when I disconnect the charger I'm back to (1).

(3) Connecting USB does nothing until pressing ON, which lights up red and
green LED and causes a whirring sound from the disk - not spinning up
though, but after two seconds everything dies.

(4) Connecting USB while charging lights up backlight, which kind of fades
in and out very quickly, but the disk doesn't spin up and the following
appears:

----------------------------
HD register error
SC1 (85) 128
SN1 (170) 128
SC2 (170) 128
SN2 (85) 128
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OS Version: 1.26

To me it seems as if the "deep discharge" caused the batteries to
discharge so deep that they refuse to be charged again. Could it have
something to do with the fact that the batteries were already at 4% - well
below the 10% where charging is supposed to start again?

Any help with my little precious much appreciated, and maybe send out a
little warning about using "deep discharge" when the batteries are already
very low.

Thanks,
/Gajdos