Subject: Re: "HD register error" after deep discharge with low batteries
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-07-09

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:32:19 +0200 (CEST), wrote:

> To me it seems as if the "deep discharge" caused the batteries to
> discharge so deep that they refuse to be charged again. Could it have
> something to do with the fact that the batteries were already at 4% -
> well below the 10% where charging is supposed to start again?

No. Assuming there is no internal short, the Archos could not drain the
batteries very far below the recommended 1v/cell limit that is recommended
for complete discharge of NiMh batteries. Totally draining NiMh batteries
with a resistor, light bulb, etc. is definately not recommended and can
damage the batteries, but it is highly unlikely that an electronic device
such as the Archos could accomplish this.

> Any help with my little precious much appreciated, and maybe send out a
> little warning about using "deep discharge" when the batteries are
> already very low.

The 1.26 original firmware indicates that this may be an older unit. How
long have the original batteries been in use? A $10 investment in a set
of 1800 - 2000 Mah cells would rule out the possiblity of exhausted

deep discharge is very safe, and will extend the life and number of cycles
for most users. No need for a warning about that.