Subject: Next release, free for all (recorders)

Next release, free for all (recorders)

From: <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:57:16 +0200 (MEST)

Hello again,

my release didn't quite go as planned yet.

- First, people cared a shit about my try to serialize it, just went ahead
with it, the link circulated in the chat shortly thereafter, people started
hacking the files, etc.

- Second, my release turned out to be rather a field test. The ATA
autodetect code didn't work stable on cold-starting, for all those hard drives out
there. For most people, the master/slave detect failed, that's the -11 error. A
master hard-coded Rockbox image fixed some, but not all.

However, the dual-boot safety feature (having the original Archos image,
too) proved to be very useful and reliable. No harm was done, everybody could
still start the box with that. (Except for one fool who against all denial
forced this into an FM.)

Yesterday, Björn tried it and also got the -11 problem, and even the master
hack didn't bring him further. But since he's an ATA expert (I'm not) he did
some changes to the init code which now hopefully do the trick.

I composed a new release from this, I hope this works better. It is here:
http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/release2.zip
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Recorder only !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying any more to serialize the people testing it, since the safety
feature is OK. For those who already did the flashing and still have it in,
it is sufficient to just reflash the rockbox image with the rockbox.ucl from
that package, or a bleeding edge build. It is also here for separate
download:
http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/rockbox.ucl
The master/slave hardcoded versions are in the same directory, but are
hopefully outdated now.

Björn changed the plugin API this night, so when you use the latest Rockbox
to flash, you also need the plugins compiled for that. They are included in
the package.

Hoping for the best, and please don't fool around so much,
Jörg