Subject: Re: FAO LINUS - RE: More long recording problems with JBR20

Re: FAO LINUS - RE: More long recording problems with JBR20

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:19:30 +0200

Meirion Williams [e-knowledge] wrote:
> Do you want the 500mb or the 200mb file? ;)

The 200Mb file would be nice. If you can upload it to a fairly fast
server, I can download it from there.

> I'm sorry, I don't know how to read sectors from my hd, can you give me some
> instructions to follow?

I assume you are a Windows guy. You should be able to use a utility like
WinHex, but I guess all such tools are shareware in the Windows world. :-(

I'll have a look and see if I can find a free tool for that.

Does anyone know about a free Windows tool to read raw sectors off a disk?

> Also, I tried that FixVBR program. It said at the time of the error there
> was a "change in MPEG version at frame xxxxx". The resulting file that it
> produced was simply a shorter MP3 (but CBR) that was just the section of the
> MP3 that played correctly before. ie it just trimmed the corrupt data from
> the end. So it didn't work.

This looks very much like an old filesystem bug we had in the past. I
guess it didn't die completely...

Linus