Subject: Re: Rombox: won't charge when batteries are dead

Re: Rombox: won't charge when batteries are dead

From: <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:24:15 +0200 (MEST)

> I listened to music today until the batteries ran out. When I plugged
> in the charger, I guess the batteries didn't have enough power to start
> the rockbox charging routine (the archos charging routine would normally
> start if I didn't have rockbox flashed to rom). Rockbox will constantly
> flash on and off until ATA error 31 comes to the screen. I guess I will
> just buy some new batteries, but it would be a good rombox feature to
> not allow the batteries go down too low, or allow the charging routine
> to be invoked very early. Anybody got any tips other than just buying
> new batteries for me? Thanks, James

You're correct, and I now see a mandatory need for a charging screen (which
Rockbox doesn't have, currently). The different behaviour with charger
plugging was subject of discussion, so far Björn liked it the way it is (regular
start when just plugging it in, not being able to power it off while plugged).

But your experience raises a new issue: Rockbox insists on bringing up the
drive before it does anything useful. If the batteries are too weak for that,
we have a problem. So we should check in case of cold-start if the reason for
us starting was the charger. If so, we should display the proposed charging
screen and power down the disk.

For the time being, you can hold F1 while plugging the charger in, like
others already mentioned. I will put that into my document.

Jörg