Subject: Re: Rombox: won't charge when batteries are dead

Re: Rombox: won't charge when batteries are dead

From: Stevie-O <stevie_at_qrpff.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:13:56 -0400

idc-dragon_at_gmx.de wrote:

> But your experience raises a new issue: Rockbox insists on bringing up the
> drive before it does anything useful. If the batteries are too weak for that,
> we have a problem. So we should check in case of cold-start if the reason for
> us starting was the charger. If so, we should display the proposed charging
> screen and power down the disk.

How about this? We start up the charging code FIRST. If the battery level (we
can still check that while plugged in/charging, right? I know we can on the FM)
is below a certain threshold, we hold on a 'charging' screen at powerup until we
think the batteries are alive enough to spin up the HD. Once we have enough
battery power, we can then exit the screen and startup normally. There isn't
even any point in checking for USB, if we can't spin up the HD...

This might help prevent another annoyance: If the batteries are too dead,
plugging in the USB cable enters a rapid on/off loop, because they can't power
up the HD enough to kick into USB mode...

--
- Stevie-O
Real Programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE