Subject: Re: Feature request: Virtual Playlists

Re: Feature request: Virtual Playlists

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:36:25 +0200

Johan Vromans wrote:

>Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>>Since mp3DirectCut (freeware) does a lot of things with cue sheets
>>(including their creation) with only 42,016 bytes (under Windows!) the
>>size of the code should not be a problem in Rockbox. However the
>>processing time and the memory size would probably be a serious
>>handicap in the Jukeboxes.
>>
>I don't know the details about cue sheets, but augmenting playlists
>with an offset and duration would have a neglectable overhead.

Johann, are you kidding us or are you a troll? Everything I know about
cue sheets, seamlessly trimming and playing mp3 files, I have learned it
when following the long thread I was referring to in my answer to your
post. When I wrote this answer I have not taken care of looking back to
this thread but now I have done it and I have been both surprised and a
little shoched to discover that YOU were the initiator of this thread
("Trimming an MP3 file", June 19)... So what?

Everything on the whats and whys of this subject has been well and
precisely explained at length in this thread, with references to places
where one can find even more information if necessary . What news do you
expect only 2 weeks later?

>>I would rather advise you to use mp3DirectCut in your PC
>>
>I hate it when people assume that every PC is running Windows.

I am only assuming that every PC is able to run Windows, whether it be
native, or via an emulator, or via a multiple boot setup. When somebody
expects to find ready-made solutions for everything as you seem to
expect, one should not deliberately eliminate the de-facto largest
category of already existing software.

I mentioned mp3DirectCut because it seemed to be the only existing
program which is really cutting files at frame level without adding
extra frames in the resulting files, and because I have personally tried
it (on a VBR file) after following that thread. If there are any others
which do the job under other systems or even Windows I am sincerely
happy for users of these other systems or those who do not like to get a
single advice when they ask for help.

>>to slice your big file into small ones (easier to handle) which can
>>be chained seamlessly thanks to a small playlist or an appropriate
>>naming scheme.
>>
>I've heard some people say you cannot cut into parts that can be
>played seamlessly, while some other people say you can. I've tried
>several techniques and did manage to get some tracks played
>seamlessly, but not all of them.
>
>-- Johan

In addition to the scenario I have described in my previous post I must
add that I also had to run VBRFix on the result since my files are VBR.

Cheers. Jean.

--
Jean Boullier - Rouen - Normandie - France