Subject: Re: Feature request: Virtual Playlists
From: Johan Vromans (jvromans_at_squirrel.nl)
Date: 2003-07-13

Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr> writes:

> I was referring to in my answer to your post. [...] that YOU were
> the initiator of this thread ("Trimming an MP3 file", June 19)... So
> what?

Yes, I'm the root of all this.

Initially I ripped a continuous music CD, discovered that there were
gaps and asked whether I could get rid of these gaps. This started the
"Trimming an MP3 file" thread.

The basic answers from this thread were:
  - no, you cannot get rid of these gaps, and
  - you can get seamless play when make your rips with special care:
    - rip into .wav files, and convert them together with
      "lame --nogap", or
    - rip into one single .mp3 and use a tool like mp3DirectCut and
      the cue file.

> Everything I know about cue sheets, seamlessly trimming and playing
> mp3 files, I have learned it when following the long thread [...]
> What news do you expect only 2 weeks later?

Well, I've been expanding my knowledge and experience outside this
thread as well. I investigated the alternatives and some of the tools
(hijacked my wife's PC) and found out that most of the time I did get
gaps. So I came up with the Virtual Playlists proposal. Later I found
that splitting an .mp3 file manually on frame boundaries did not
introduce audible disruptions, so I wrote my own mp3 cutter.

> When somebody expects to find ready-made solutions for everything as
> you seem to expect,

I hope the above shows you that is not the case. I just want to avoid
reinventing the wheel, if possible.

-- Johan