Subject: RE: Feature request: Virtual Playlists
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-07-14

anmelden wrote:
>> Having one file per song makes organisation easier, too.
> I don't see that point. Having 100 files instead of 10 big
> files doesn't make it easier I think...

I have one directory for every disc so I will never have 100 files in
one place (which would be confusing indeed). What I meant were the
little tools for organizing mp3s etc, examples:
1) if I want to have a playlist of all my songs, I simply do a "dir
*.mp3 /s /b > all.m3u" now
2) other playlist-generation tools
3) database programs based on the id3-tags that can sort your songs by
artist, title, album...

All these helping tools wouldn't work properly with cuesheets. But of
course I'm talking of live (or otherwise seamless) cds here and not of
self-recorded DJ sets (but I use it for self-recorded band rehearsals
and live gigs, too)

>> What do you need the original recording for?
> Example: When I record a DJ-Set of mine and want to give it
> to someone as a present, I burn it on CD.
> When I have splitted up my mp3, the mp3 playback might be
> gapless, but after converting it to WAV and burning it you
> will notice small gaps between the tracks. This doesn't
> happen if you have one big WAV and burn it to CD via cuesheet.

Another possiblity would be to put the mp3 together before decoding
(mp3DirectCut does it, I don't know *NIX equivalents), then you'll get
one seamless wav-file (but you'll have to create the cue-sheet for
burning, a bit complicated I admit)

>> It's no problem to load the cuesheet and navigate to the single
>> tracks in winamp and it wouldn't be a problem in rockbox either
> So why not add cuesheet support as an extra option if it
> doesn't hurt anyone?

You've cut away my "but"! I didn't want to say: "No, I don't like
cuesheets, I don't want to have them in rockbox", I just wanted to state
why I prefer splitting the files instead of having cuesheets.

Just my 2 cents...

Andreas Stemmer