Subject: Re: ATA Errors when booting from flash
From: Doug Layne (motiv02_at_layndo.com)
Date: 2003-07-15

> > Most of the time I get ATA error: -21
> > after about 1 or 2 seconds of the splash screen, but occasionally I get
> > ATA
> > error: -41 after about 10 seconds of the splash screen. I took a quick
> > look
> > at the code and it seems like io_address_detect() and sometimes
> > freeze_lock() are failing.
>
> Oh boy, this code seems still not done. Björn's latest ATA fixes seemed OK
> for everybody so far, at the cost of a 2-3 seconds boot time increase. Now
> you're the first to report this failing, too. The problem with this code
is that
> it's dependent on the disk behaviour. So a piece of code booting me in 3
> seconds didn't work on many other boxes.
> I hope we're able to stabilize this, will need the guys with problematic
> disks as guinea pigs.

I was surprised to not have seen anyone else with this problem. Hopefully
it's not something stupid that I've done. Any idea of how many people have
actually already started booting from flash? There seems to have been many
people talking about how well it has worked for them. Anybody reading this
that have upgraded to a 40GB IBM Travelstar and are not having any problems
booting from flash?

> > In both cases, the debug screen has master,
> > 0x300 for ATA. Any idea of what might cause this? I have a 40GB IBM
> > Travelstar drive in the unit, but I'm not sure of the exact model. I
have
> > bleeding edge build (030714-0101) in flash also. Thanks a lot.
>
> 0x300 sounds suspicious, do you get the same with the Debug->HW Info
screen
> when normally operating Rockbox?

Actually, I get 0x200 when I check in the HW Info debug screen in normal
operation. Should these be the same?