Subject: roadmap to player flashing
From: idc-dragon_at_gmx.de
Date: 2003-07-16

One platform is missing yet, do player models need to be flashed? The
players are reported to boot faster than the recorder models.
At least some have the required chip, but I don't know about the percentage.
Player participation in my survey was low, only 5 players, 3 of them
flashable.
I don't have access to a player, so right now I can't do something about it.
There are 3 possibilities:
1) Somebody donates me his discarded player
2) Somebody lends me a player, accepting the residual risk of me breaking it
3) Another developer takes over the player part.

The main task to be done is porting the plugins, giving them an MMI suitable
for the small screen. The rest can go as I did for the FM:
- first authoring an experimental flash content which has 2 Archos images,
one patched for a different greetmessage so you can tell them apart
- flashing that
- testing if F1 switches between them on startup
- replacing the second image with a Rockbox build
- testing if Rockbox starts from flash
- if not, fixing Rockbox inits (may require gdb)
- authoring the final image
And of cause, if anything goes wrong inbetween, doing the serial and UART
boot mod. For the FM this wasn't necessary. I expext more trouble for the
player, since the difference to the other models is larger. However, if we get
past the point where the original Archos software runs from my bootloader, we're
clear because the fallback is there.

Jörg