Subject: Re: An other battery issue with flashed rockbox
From: Henrik Backe (
Date: 2003-07-17

>> Yesterday, my battery were fully discharged, I plug my archos jbr20
>> flashed with rockbox 20030714 cvs I get hd error -31... after 2 or 3
>> infructuous reboot ( with -31 error ) it start and charge battery...

> Again, the currently recommended workaround in case of deep discharge is
> hold F1 while plugging in the charger. This gives the original Archos
> charging screen.
> Right now, Rockbox has no "charging only" startup, it always wants to spin
> up the HD before doing anything useful. It guess we have to change that
> more and more people fall into that trap.

> Jörg

I think there still are som inits that are not working (always) in the
If you have your charger plugged in,enough power in the batteries and the
disk spinning , trying to shutdown rockbox gives the expected result,
shutdown and reboot
to rockbox.

Start rockbox, plugin the charger, wait untill the disk has stopped and
the unit and you'll get an ata -32 error.
The only thing to then is to unplug the charger before rebooting.

For me this is a very minor issue but hopefully this info can be of help
when you
get around to add a "startup charging screen". But before start coding
again, Jörg,
take same time off, you have deserved it.