RE: Re: Forum vs. Mailinglist

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:33:55 +0200

anmelden wrote:
> - categories (e.g. Requests, Code Discussions, FAQ etc.) at a
> glance (if done smartly they also prevent the information to
> get cluttered in endless topics)

Could be done with mailing lists, too (several lists), but I don't see
any need for that. Feature requests and bug reports are done on
sourceforge now, the rest can be discussed here on the list.

> - easily searchable for both subject & message (!!!) - stops
> silly double postings and stuff. right now, I can't search anything
> at all at once

Why can't you search the mail archives now? There is a search field on
the main page.

> - upload of small files is easily done

If the files are useful, Daniel or Björn will put them on the rockbox
site if you have no access to webspace.

> - important aspects or always reoccurring questions can be
> handled via "announcements" or "sticky threads"

We have the FAQ for that, but nobody reads it.

> - no stress with bounced adresses, double/triple/quadruple
> emails and stuff like that....

That's true, but Björn is getting faster each time he has to unsubscribe
someone :)

Andreas Stemmer