Subject: archos unit no longer working

archos unit no longer working

From: Vince Scimeca <vscimeca_at_jupitermedia.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:43:59 -0400

I figured I would start here rather then deal with the archos tech
support nightmare...I have the Archos Jukebox studio 20 which I have
upgraded with a 40G drive. While at the gym the other day listening to
my archos, it accidentally feel about 4 feet to the rubberized floor.
One of the battery covers popped off so I replaced it and thought no big
deal. The song that had been playing was still displayed on the LCD but
the screen and unit appeared to be frozen. Pressing the buttons to
resume play did nothing. I finally shut the unit down as i normally
would and it shut down fine. I tried to power it back up and all i get
is the green on light but nothing on the display. When powering back up
I noticed that the hard drive did not seem to be spinning up as I had
normally noticed it does so I figured something had come loose
internally and needed to be re-seated. I opened the unit up which I
have done before and took the hard drive out and put it in an ultrabay
unit I have for my IBM thinkpad just to test. I was able to read all
the contents on the hard drive and it seemed to be fine. I put
everything back together but I continue to have the same problem; green
light, no display and hard disk does not seem to spin up. I tried to
blindly go through how I would normally play music just to see if it was
the display that went bad, but no music. any thoughts, input (other
then calling me names for dropping it ;-) or help would be appreciated.

thanks
Vince