From: Thomas Heuving (
Date: 2003-07-18

anmelden schrieb am Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:12:2 +0100:
>>Web forums are always less powerful than your favourite mail client when
>>reading mails. If not, get a better mail program.
> Have you seen a phpBB or an IB lately? they are pretty nifty actually....

IMHO they are a PITA compared to _any_ decent mail- or news-client.
Most importantly: You have to be always online. Ever tried a
forum with a lame connection or an overloaded server? With mail and
news, only the download is slow, afterwards I can read as fast as I
like. I can kill articles based on any criteria _I_ like, not just
what the programmer anticipated, etc..
I'm fetching this list from gmane (and kill all mail of this list in my
mail-client) and can also post through it, don't have to learn
another BB-GUI.

>>Web forums are for kids. Real people and real discussions need mailing lists,
>>and there are news access and web based archives too.
> Maybe, but even adults/real people like a decent search function ;)

Have you seen a decent NNTP-client lately? They are pretty nifty
actually ...

Thomas Heuving