Re: Forum vs. Mailinglist

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:13:50 +0200

hi Tom,

you shouldn`t think that negative.
>There seems to be no interest in making Rockbox more user friendly and availible to the masses.
I think, that`s not true! moreover, it`s a matter of time and a matter of help from people "pushing" such things. I think it`s NOT a
matter of the fact, that rockboxer`s wanna be "geeks" and do an application just for their own "pride". Did you notice that many
open source projects suffer from being badly documented - especially if development goes on very quickly ?

>Information is hard to find and made difficult for 'Microsoft lamers'
it`s not a problem of rockbox but a problem which lies in the nature of complex applications, imho.
I don`t think that a forum will solve this problem easily. I don`t hate web-based forums - but I can understand most people here,
who favour a mailing-list and newsgroup.

but, nevertheless - i think it`s time to spend some thoughts about better forms of "knowledge management". traffic on the
mailinglist raises from month to month - and even for the developer it`s difficult to follow all the threads and being "up to date"
about all that "new stuff" or all the changes. A first step to make things better could be implementing a better search-option for
the mailing list itself. using google for that is just a "quick hack". Feel free to add advanced search to the mailing list archive.
have some fast server? know some ht:/dig? welcome - it`s your job ;)

BTW: What about splitting "rockbox"-ML into "rockbox-devel" and "rockbox-users" ?
BTW/2: renaming the IRC link to "Chat" and describing what irc IS and how to use that could help some less advanced users,too.
perhaps splitting the "rockbox" discussion channel into "users" and "developers" could be done, if traffic gets too high, too.

regards
roland