Subject: Re: cue-sheet support
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-07-19

Andreas Stemmer wrote:
> TP Diffenbach wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be able to add optional startAt, endAt information to
>> playlists, and was figuring that it's most user friendly to allow
>> this information to be input as time, but neccessary to either have
>> a frame offset or iterate through all prior frames for VBR.
>

> Good idea! As far as I know this exactly what the vbr header does:
> translate the time position to a frame offset. But I think Linus is
> the man to ask about vbr headers...

My first reaction to this is: "Cut the files". My second reaction is:
"Send a patch and we'll consider it".

Regarding the VBR headers, the Xing header format can't seek frame
accurately within a file, but it surely give a hint (in 1% steps) where
to start searching. The VBRI format supports a higher resolution, but
still isn't accurate.

Linus