Subject: Re: Read only in USB mode [Feature Request]
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2003-07-21

>I think about putting archo in read-only mode before plug it to usb, I
>think is it possible to lock partition so it's may be a new feature to
>prevent modifications on the archo hd...
>I don't know if it is well explain...
>
>Mourad

The JB USB/HDD interface is in a dedicated chip - the firmware/Rockbox can
only enable and disable it - after that it is all in hardware :(

You could patch the windows driver, but then you will need to install your
new driver onto your friends machine before you connect your jukebox. As
this would have to be done to every machine you come into contact with and
it would mean carrying an additional Floppy Disk/CD with you everywhere, i
guess it is not really a viable option :(

So. Sadly. You're kinda stuffed :(

Sorry for the not-so-good news, but at least you understand it all now :)

BC

PS.

>I don't know if it possible, but I had some virus pb because I plugged my
>archo on a windows 2k infected with viruses ( I see it after :( ) and all
>executable achives on my archos ( i have some archive in backup ) were
>infected by that virus....
>So I think to kill my freind but it's not solution ;-)....

There are thousands of very nasty viruses available for download. CIH is
especially effective if your friend has a surface mount BIOS. Perhaps you
might consider this option before hiring an assasin ;-) <-- THIS IS A JOKE!

Alternatively, you could introduce your friend to Anti-Virus
software. Personally I download and install Sophos(.com) once every month
or two and run a check (ever since I accidentally gave CIH to a friend with
a surface mount BIOS - D'OH!) <-- THIS IS NOT A JOKE! ;-)

I have no idea if Sophos is a "good choice" or not, but until someone gives
me some better advice ...it works for me :)

...If he does not think that AV software is a good idea - explain how the
CIH virus works - Bwahahahaha