Subject: Re: Read only in USB mode [Feature Request]

Re: Read only in USB mode [Feature Request]

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:25 +0200

> I think fat partition can be set as read only by updating bootsector of hd
are you shure?
i never heard about this "feature". the only "read only" features regarding fat/32 partitions/fs i have come across so far is:

- setting a partition/fs readonly for special tools (like partition magic) so you won`t accidentally destroy something.
- mounting a partition/fs readonly on a unix system
- using a special fs driver (e.g. sysinternals fat32 for windows NT)
- setting read-only in hardware (if hardware supports that)
- setting a partition readonly inside vmware

i would be interested, if this is possible with "native" fat/fat32. Is this feature mentioned in the fs-specs?

regards
roland