Subject: Re: OT: Virus Scanning

Re: OT: Virus Scanning

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:00:21 -0400

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:32:53 -0700, Nathan Gray wrote:
> Well there's a decent product out there that is free for personal use.
> Available at Avast.com I use it instead of macafee or norton because it
> does the same job and is free. Even if you don't use anything to clean
> up executables after infection, having virus scanning software always
> installed is helpful so those crazy trojans and viriii don't run too
> far amok.
>

> Anyway - my 3 cents.
>

> Nathan

Hey, thanks for that pointer. I checked it out and it appears to be very
similar to the freeware AV program I use called AVG (available at
www.grisoft.com ) it has all the "must haves" like resident protection and
automatic updates and nice stuff like system integration (right click
scanning) and an email module. Both are Virus Bulletin 100% and ICSA labs
certified. Avast goes the extra step and adds screensaver runtime
scanning, whereas AVG allows only for scheduling a daily scan. I can't
speak to the resource usage of Avast, but I have found AVG's to be very
light, certainly much less than Norton or Mcafee offerings.

There is really NO excuse for not having good anti-virus software these
days. (at least now that you have been told!) :)

Chris