Subject: Re: Flash Games question...
From: Owen Sebastian Hofmann (oshofmann_at_amherst.edu)
Date: 2003-07-24

Björn Stenberg wrote:

> Feature request #613544 describes an ID3 database, which is precisely what is necessary for browsing tags. It has raised priority to indicate this is an issue we (core developers) feel would be valuable.
>
> The trick is to design a database/file format that is quickly searchable while requiring a minimum of ram used. (I.e. waste disk space if it saves ram use and/or increases speed.)

I was toying with something like this a while ago. By imposing the
limitation that all database entries are the same size, the file on the
disk can be binary searched without any buffering and with relatively
little disk access. I kinda lost interest, having got it to the point
where it found stuff, but didn't actually do anything with it.