Subject: Re: Archos warranty and Rockbox
From: Jean Boullier (jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr)
Date: 2003-07-25

OK, I see your point. But since I do not remember having read in the
manual that you may not use a third party firmware or that you must run
a firmware provided by Archos they would better prove that your firmware
is not running inside the specs of the product, if you return it for a
hardware failure. I am talking of the "normal" Rockbox modules here.
When you go as far as reflashing the chip that becomes more difficult to
argue, I agree.

The French text is even less restrictive since it mentions specifically
(in this area):
- damage caused by an incorrect or abusive usage: Rockbox uses the
hardware correctly and in a less demanding way, i.e. less disk usage for
a given file, more careful battery charging (for the JBR only).
- modified products: the product itself is not modified (unless reflashed).

Regarding Rockbox I sincerely think they can involve it only if the
user's claim addresses a usage problem (as opposed to hardware) and if
that problem no longer exists once they have erased Rockbox from the
root directory.

Cheers. Jean.

--
Jean Boullier - Rouen - Normandie - France