Subject: Re: opening, modding, and closing of the FMR

Re: opening, modding, and closing of the FMR

From: <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: 25 Jul 2003 23:37:31 -0000

>Are you better at soldering or at bending? :-)
>
>Seriously, if you don't solder well, don't plan on taking it apart very
>many times, since the bending will eventually break something.
>
>This thing is not designed to be "User Disassemblable".

Note: there is no warranty, express or implied, to these directions. I am not liable for any loss or damage you suffer by following or applying these directions. By reading these directions, you agree to hold me harmless for any damage, direct or consequential, from your use of these directions. If you do not agree to these terms, do not read the following directions.

As someone bent, let me add my two cents: solder, if you can.

If you do bend, you DO NOT HAVE TO BEND THE BOTTOM. (Se below)

And if you do, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STRAIGHTEN IT!

(God, this reminds me of the joke about the girl who wanted to marry the Greek guy.)
Bending is only required if you want to remove the hardrive.

If you bend, try to bend the top at the 90 degree bend already existing. Bending it further down, around where the "feet" are, will leave a (minor) crease.

If you bend the top, BE SURE to unbend as much as you can. Otherwise, you'll have battery problems (more on this when I've taken some metrics). The fm battery is connected, through the top piece that pops out, to the metal back-case. If it's connected but not firmly, the Archos will play, but recharging will be a problem. (I think. I need to take some more metrics, as I said.)

To avoid bending the bottom, first remove the bumpers, then the battery. Removing the battery can be a pain. Try shaking it out, if that doesn't work use a small NON-CONDUCTING flathead screw driver to GENTLY pry it out.

To remove the drive, you'll have to bend the top of the back case open.

Then notice that you can see inside the unit from the bottom, where the bumpers were. From these two small holes, you can GENTLY press -- try to press both sides simultaneously, with the help of an assistant/girlfriend/trained monkey -- the hardrive forward to the top of the unit. Press parallel to the case, or slightly dow. Don't press up --in the direction of the face plate and buttons -- press out toward the top of the unit.

If you replace the harddrive, you MUST remove the sticky plastic on the original drive, and place it on the new drive, to prevent the power from being shorted across the drive. If you rip the sticky platic, replace it with something similar, like a pda screencover.

Good luck.

--Tom