Subject: Re: Documentation
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-07-28

Quoting BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>:

> Being inexperienced with CVS, I do not touch it. I use daily builds.
> I have just checked the latest source and full downloads and it is missing
> from both.
>
> I suppose the sensible solution is to request commit privs so I can upload
> Othelo v1.2 and learn how to use CVS without killing anything!
>
> ...Then I could just upload all my uisw32, othelo, configure, etc. patches
> & docs myself <shrugs>
> ...I think a crash course in CVS is required first though - anyone care to
> emelish me with idiot-proof directions?

You're not gonna like this, but...

To use cvs you need either cygwin or WinCVS, a cvs GUI for MS-Windows. You can use both together, too, as I do (the GUI's nice becuase it will show you what you've modified).

With CVS, you check out a copy of the source code, and hack at it. As the source on the server is modified, cvs tries its best to merge the differences between the original code, the server mods, and your mods. Often, it suceeds, sometimes you'll need to manually make fixes.

If you have commit rights, you can then send your copy up to the server to be the new version.

CVS allows you to rollback to earlier version, "branch" the source, and track who made what changes.

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!