Subject: Testers wanted: up to 50% greater battery life

Testers wanted: up to 50% greater battery life

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:53:14 -0400

I have a patch that I think can increase battery life from 20% to 50%. (So if your battery life is 8 hours now, I'd expect you to get from 9.6 to 12 hours with the patch).

I want to tune the patch a bit, and collect metrics on units other than my own FM Recorder, so I'm appealling for testers. I'd like to be able to test against FMs, Recorders, and Players.

Testers should be willing to fully charge their units and continuously play a single album until the unit turns itself off for lack of power. Depending on the model and the bit rate of the mp3s played, this will take from five (5) to fourteen (14) hours per test.

If you'd like to test, please reply to the list, giving an email address at which you can be contacted, and indicating which archos model you have. At some point* I'll send you further instructions and a url to download. Testers may get one of three versions: an unmodified rockbox, or one of two power saving versions. To avoid biasing the data, I won't indicate which version you'll be using.

Please note that all versions will be beta software and may not function exactly as you've come to expect.

*"At some point": this morning something (related to folding_at_home?) seems to have killed my master boot record, as I can't seem to even reach the bootloader on booting. I'll need to sort this out before producing the archos software, of course, and this may take me some time. I expect I'll be able to send out urls for download sometime Friday.

--Tom

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!