Subject: Extended Battery Life Testing: Good News and Bad News

Extended Battery Life Testing: Good News and Bad News

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:44:15 -0400

I think we may have to postpone extended battery life testing a bit.

The bad news is that what I thought was a fragged master boot record on my pc appears to be a more generalized gardware failure -- of what exactly, isn't clear (although contenders are the AGP card, or both hdds (unlikely), or the CDROM, or the ATA controller, or the main memory).

(Ignore this for brevity: Basically, one installation of W2K won't boot, another failed to correctly copy from the W2K install disk, and so is only half installed, and the third runs but blue screens on diskcopies. Yes, I have three different installs of W2K, because you never know when you might need an alternate boot.)

The good news is I get laid off (made redundant for you Europeans) Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to hack on Rockbox.

I'm hoping to track down the precise hardware problem tonight. If it's memory, I'll just swap in an old 128MB stick and be running, albeit slowly. If it's something else, I expect it'll take a week to get replacement parts ordered and installed. So patience, please.

Of course, you can use this time to make your CBR rips. I'd suggest 128, 160, or 192 kpbs; even better would be if you could coordinate among yourselves in such a way as to test all three of these common bit rates.

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!