Subject: HELP: Dreaded register error
From: Grizz Volga (grizzvolga_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 2003-08-01

Hello,
My Archos Jukebox Recorder 6GB does not boot anymore, and I get the dreaded
Register Error.
Here are the detailed symptoms, just in case anybody can point me in the
right direction to fix it:

- When you turn it on, you get the usual "boot up" screen with the progress
bar
- The green led is on, but the red led only flashes just for two seconds,
then turns off
- You can't hear the hard drive spinning at all
- The progress bar only gets to the third square, and then you get the
following screen:

HD Register Error
SC1 (85)
SN1 (170)
SC2 (170)
SN2 (85)

I have checked some past messages in this list, and have tried some of the
fixes that seem to have worked for other people:

- I have checked that the batteries are fully charged. I have even tried
with a different set of batteries, but it didn't solve the problem
- I have conected the hard drive to the computer with a USB adapter and it
works perfectly. I can read all its contents
- I have checked the solder points in the hard drive connector and the ones
that hold the different cards together, but tghey all seem alright

So I am really stuck. Could this be that the hard drive is locked? But if
this were the case, wouldn't it at least spin?
Could the hard drive controller be dead? Where is this controller located in
the Archos?
All in all, do I keep the drive and throw the archos away, or is there
anything that I can do?
Any help will be really appreciated.
Juan

Check our band's page for some great progressive electronic music
                 http://www.mp3.com/grizz_volga