Subject: Re: (Feature) Should the red HD LED show all HD activity?
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-08-01

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:34:14 +0200, Martin Borus wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if it is sensible to turn on the red HD LED light
> whenever the drive is spinning (opposed to whenever there's a hard disc
> access as it's now)
> This way you would immediately know if it's safe to turn off the unit
> with one glance - without having the to pause the unit or holding it to
> the ear to find out if it's still spinning.
> Regards
> Martin

Why is it not safe to turn off with the drive spinning? I can understand
(and hear) the problem when the drive is being accessed, because it makes
a little "spin down" sound. But otherwise, it doesn't make a peep when I
turn it off with no light.

And you can set the spindown time with rockbox and just wait that long
after last activity indication. Like 5s by default, right?