Subject: Re: CVS and patch usage (Re: Othelo v1.4 + Documentation)
From: CombThins (bmnews_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 2003-08-01

> I wrote this patch guide for exactly this purpose:
> http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/patch.html
> Please tell us what you miss or don't understand in it, and I'll make an
> effort to improve it to be clearer on those points.

Well, since you're asking, I suggest that this page emphasises that all the
files you are diff'ing and patch'ing must contain only unix LF not
Windows/DOS CR/LF line breaks.

I spent a happy evening wondering why patch kept moaning about bad headers
in my patch files. I know that the dev beginners guide says elsewhere that
we only use LF, but I was using WinZip to break open the tarballs, and
didn't know that it had a secret
"try-to-be-too-clever-by-half-when-you-think-you've-got-a-unix-text-file"
option ticked by default.

cheers
CombThins