Subject: Re: (Feature) Should the red HD LED show all HD activity?
From: Nix (nix_at_esperi.demon.co.uk)
Date: 2003-08-02

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Chris Holt spake:
> Why is it not safe to turn off with the drive spinning? I can understand
> (and hear) the problem when the drive is being accessed, because it makes
> a little "spin down" sound. But otherwise, it doesn't make a peep when I
> turn it off with no light.

Mine makes a whining noise when it spins down that way, but given the
variety of weird clunking and clattering noises it is apt to make at
spindown time, a mere whine is the least of my worries. :)

(Disk is a Hitachi DK23DA-20. Spinup time `0 ms', the hardware info
screen says, which I find kind of hard to believe.)

--
`We cannot get a new line down the pipe due to a blockage and we cannot
 dig up the road to clear the blockage because it is covered with the