Subject: Re: "Flipping" through playlist songs takes a while
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-08-05

Charlie Rosenthal wrote:
> I have a FM Recorder 20 and when I'm listening to a playlist and what to
> skip over a song that has started to play (by hitting the 'Right' button) it
> takes about 15 seconds or so for the next song to start playing during which
> Rockbox appears 'frozen'. However, there is no such delay when songs go from
> one to the next without my intervention.

This is because when you hit "next", the next song has to be loaded into ram before it can start. When songs play as normal, the next song is loaded while the last part of the previous song is playing, and thus there is no delay.

If you press "next" at the end of a song (when the first part of the next song has been loaded), you get the same quick transition as a normal track change.

--
Björn