Subject: Re: "Flipping" through playlist songs takes a while
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2003-08-05

At 09:22 05/08/03 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Charlie Rosenthal <charlierb3_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I have a FM Recorder 20 and when I'm listening to a playlist and what to
> > skip over a song that has started to play (by hitting the 'Right'
> button) it
> > takes about 15 seconds or so for the next song to start playing during
> which
> > Rockbox appears 'frozen'. However, there is no such delay when songs go
> from
> > one to the next without my intervention. (using 7/29 rockbox firmware but
> > this problem has been going on for a long time)
> > Thanks!
>
>it takes longer because the harddrive has to spin up and load the next
>song. it gets buffered when
>it changes on its own

i've not been following this thread, i presume someone has mentioned the
disk-spindown timer in the options. if you are going to spend 15 seconds
reading a screenful of data before you ask for the next bunch of data, set
the disk spindown timer to about 15 seconds!

I have mine set at 3 seconds and just suffer the loss. what would be much
nicer would be the option
"do not spin down whilst directory browser is active"