Subject: Re: need Player firmware version 5.08
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-08-05

idc-dragon_at_gmx.de wrote:
> > it still looks at the flashed version to differentiate between new and
> > old lcd, just like Rockbox does.
>
> Is that fact or assumption?

Fact, at least for the 5.03 version which was the one we reverse-engineered to find this detection method.

> Maybe the LCD controller can be probed, would be the smarter way.

Yes it would, but I don't know if or how that can be done.

> What info do we have about the LCD? The datasheet section
> lists the SSD1801 as unconfirmed, is that still so? Would this be used for
> both old and new LCD? From the specs it rather looks like new LCD, but with
> different char ROM. Haven't compared it in detail.

The exact controller model is still unconfirmed. The command sequences match, but those are fairly standard across many brands of lcd controllers so that is not a safe indication.

Since the LCD is custom made for archos, the char rom in the datasheet matches neither new nor old but as you probably know we use the same code for both (with the exception of a couple of command values that differ). Also, since the LCD is a chip-on-glass design, there are no chip markings to be found anywhere.

--
Björn