Subject: Charging, etc (Re: Why rockbox is playing with my battery level ?)
From: idc-dragon_at_gmx.de
Date: 2003-08-06

> It is something I see lot's of times, When I start my jbr20, the battery
> level is pretty low ( 15~20 % ) and after several times it increase
> slowly.... it is the same thing when I plug it on usb, I was transfering
> lot's of files ( in usb 1 !) and after several times, the batterie level
> start to flash ( less than 10% ) when I unplugged it from usb, the
> battery level turn back to 60% !

It's well possible that I've indirectly messed this up. Hardeep pointed me
to that in IRC two days ago. Remember that I spawn the charging screen prior
to ata_init(), meaning before the HD is used. This is necessary because before
you could lock yourself out if the battery is too weak to start the HD.
Rockbox wasn't doing anything (including charging) without the HD, unsuitable
behaviour for flash.

So I have to call power_init() to start the charging algorithm before
ata_init(), with my charging screen inbetween.

The settings are not yet loaded, some affect the charging (capacity, trickle
charge), but there are reasonable defaults (1500mAH, trickle on). So this is
not nice, but shoudn't mess things up completely. A better option for the
future would be to split the setting loading into RTC values and HD values. The
RTC values could be loaded early, before the HD is available, and such
settings should be moved in there.

Hardeeps' point was that Linus once deliberately moved power_init() down, in
the cvs comment he wrote: "Moved the power_init() call to after the
mpeg_init() call, this is supposed to solve the startup voltage bug".
I don't see the charging related to mpeg_init(), but there may be an old bug
which was circumvented instead of fixed. I'd be curious on what Linus may
have to say about this.

Jörg