Subject: Re: semi OT: MP3 splitter
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2003-08-06

Thanks. saved me some time. The only things I've found so far that even come
close are MusiCutter and File Split Pro. MusiCutter has potential in that it
can import a text or CUE file but it only does one source file at a time and
I'll be damned if I can figure out his text file format. He doesn't document
it and doesn't answer email, apparently. File split Pro would do the job
except it's not mp3-aware and will cut in the middle of frames unless you
specify the chunk size right down to the byte.

Update: After hours of searching I found a few things but nothing that will
do the job. So far.

first, I found this page:

http://www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/ad5736a.cgi/1417/RETURN-CODE

A list of splitter utilities. some showed possibilities but are gympware
which I won't fool with. I didn't find anything useful.

 HJ split is free but it's not an mp3 splitter so no frame boundary detection.
Plus no batch file processing.

I did find this nifty site in the process:
http://www.freebyte.com/

Another possibility is here on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3splitter/

So far, Linux only. A windoze port would be nice.

Just before lights-out I found this one:

http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/

Looks very promising except that it doesn't appear to have the option to
specify a file length. All cuts must be specified in terms of beginning and
end. I guess a fancy batch file would overcome that limitation. I'll ponder
this one tomorrow.

John

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 01:57:25 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:

>If you haven't tried it yet, don't bother. It only allows you to make one
>cut (startpoint, endpoint) per file. I don't see how that could be
>convenient, much less what use anyone could have for such a process. :P
>
>Chris
>
>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:54:58 -0400, Neon John wrote:
>> Thanks. That looks like it might work. I'd looked at this product
>> last time I went on the cutter hunt but it didn't do batch back then.
>>
>> I'm getting annoyed enough about this and about begware for simple
>> utilities that I might just write a command line utility. Would be a
>> good way to re-enter programming after about 10 years off...
>>
>> john

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net