Subject: Re: Should I Buy a Recorder or FM Recorder?
From: Michael O'Quinn (michael_at_oquinn.info)
Date: 2003-08-08

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, doctor23 wrote:

> Hi. I'm a newbie trying to decide which model of player to buy. It's
> pretty much between the Recorder and the FM recorder. I like the look
> and controls of the FM Recorder better, but I'm a bit nervous about the
> Li Battery. When my current player (an Intel Pocket Concert) runs out of
> juice, I just swap the rechargeables for a fresh pair and keep on
> rockin'. Can you do the same with a Recorder, or is the process too
> cumbersome to be done routinely?

As I understand it, you can't get replacement batteries for the FMR
without sending the unit back to Archos. The batteries are proprietary.
Someone mentioned a while back that there is this neat company that makes
nifty custom built replacement battery packs, but I'm sure the price is
gonna run you a whole lot of, er, nifties.

> I've also heard that the FM's built-in battery offers longer run time
> than the rechargeables in the Recorder. Anybody have any real-world data
> on the subject?

In general, LIon batteries (like in the FMR) have more capacity for a
given size and weight than do NiMH (like in the recorder). I don't know
of a direct comparison between the two Archos units. FWIW, my Player came
with 1500 MAh batts, but batts up to 2100 MAh are easily available.

> Also, I've read in the list archives that Rockbox isn't being developed
> by the core team for the FM Recorder. Does this mean that the different
> models will have different capabilites when running Rockbox?

Well, it'll be pretty hard for the non-FM Recorder to record something
off the radio...

The player has a different interface, since the screen and buttons are
different. AFAIK, the Recorder and FMR are identical, except for the
Radio of course.

> Thanks in advance for any info. Frankly, RockBox is the reason I'm
> buying an Archos. The existence of such a dedicated and skilled
> community of supporters makes me much more confident in taking the
> plunge with a hard drive player. Keep up the good work, team.

It's an awesome product!

Michael