Subject: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
From: Brad (grimlysf_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-08-11

I am having some problems with my JBR FM with syncing
to the computer. Any advice would be great. I am also
waivering on just getting the JBR. It seems a little
more stable and I like the nimh battery over the LI
ION.

When I first plug my JBR FM into a computer it is
recognized and everything works fine. When I go to
disconnect it from the computer it gives me three
options. USB Mass Storage Device, Drive E: Generic
drive, and Hitachi something or other. I pick one of
em, usually Generic drive. After a few times synching
and unsynching I eventually get the "This device
cannot start. (Code 10)" with an ! next to the USB
Mass Storage device. So I cannot sync anything once
this happens on that specific computer. Now if I am on
my own computer I can just uninstall and reinstall and
there is no problem. However, at work I do not have
the authority to do this. So now I cannot use it as a
storage device like I wanted. Both the work and home
computer are using Windows 2000. I used a computer on
XP this weekend and it synched with no problem. I have
not done a scandisk on the JBR FM yet (cant find it on
Windows 2000).
I have the product guarantee from Best Buy. I am
thinking about returning it and see if I can get just
the JBR (no FM). I really do NOT like having the LI
ION battery. Its performance is not impressive. I
would prefer to have the nimh with back up batteries
(and I have a solar battery charger too). I really do
not listen to the radio anyway (besides NPR). Also
Rockbox does not seem to allow me to get to the radio.
Any advice/comments/suggestions?
Of course when I called customer support their advice
was worthless.
Just so you know I am not that computer savvy.
Great job by the way. Keep up the good work. Brad.