Subject: Re: update to rock box 2.0
From: John Stevenson (steveo1967_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-08-12

 --- Mikael Verner Pedersen <pino_at_privat.dk> wrote: >
Hello

> How do I upgrade my jukebox recorder 20 to rock box
> 2.0 from the 1.28
> version from Archos?
> Is it necessery for me to have winzip installed on
> my PC?
>
> Best regards Mikael.
>
>It will depend on if you are using a windoze PC or a
unix box. I will assume you are using windows.

You need to download and install winzip

Download the release 2 zip file

Connect your JBR to your PC

doubleclick to load it into winzip

Select all the files

Extract to root of your JBR (ensure use folder names
is selected - this is important - since it creates the
.rockbox folder on your JBR)

Unconnect (dismount) your JBR

switch it off/ then switch it on

You should now have rockbox 2.00

A simple explantion is that Archos has two versions of
its software when you buy your JBR. One build in to
the rom - which can now be flashed. Then another one
on the root of your JBR hard disc. This is to ensure
that Archos can update the software easy (sniggers
very loudly at this point). What the Rockbox team
have done (pre flash version) is to re-write their own
version of this file on your JBR. It is called
ajbrec.ajz. So when you switch on your JBR the rom
based software looks for this file and if it finds it,
it will run it

regards

John